Calories in that Pinot Grigio? Soon You'll Know, on the Label

Now we've seen it all? Nutrition labels on alcohol?  It's coming.

We already have warnings on pregnancy but now the Treasury Department, which regulates alcohol, "said this past week that beer, wine and spirits companies can use labels that include serving size, servings per container, calories, carbohydrates, protein and fat per serving. Such package labels have never before been approved," according to Mary Clare Jalonik of the AP.

The labels, however, are voluntary so you probably won't be seeing too many of them.

I don't know about you but when I'm drinking my Cosmopolitan, I don't really want to know it has the same number of calories as a brownie, or two (212).

That's what was behind the famous Skinny Girl cocktail brand, putting fewer calories in liquor. But I'm not in the mood to count calories when I'm out drinking.  It's just not the most important thing on my mind. Some weight loss experts say to treat it as a piece of cake (I'd rather have the cake).

Still, I really don't want to see the number of calories, carbohydrates and protein on the bottle.

Jalonik writes that consumer advocates have said that listing alcohol content should be mandatory so consumers know how much they are drinking. Some experts "also support having calorie counts on labels, but they said the labels should not include nutrients that make the alcohol seem more like a food."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Herbal Supplements? Even Green Tea Extract Can Lead to Liver Damage

Social Media Replacing Human Contact? Nah

Don't Wash Your Chicken and Other Food Safety Myths