Guess What One in Three Have Done With Their New Year's Resolutions? If You Said,Chuck It, You're Right

Big surprise.  One in three people have not kept their New Year's resolutions.  I bet it's more like three out of three.

But a new study says even people with the best of intentions to get heart-healthy in the new year become discouraged after just a handful of long runs or drop their gym memberships after a couple of sessions. Gretchen Wells, MD, PhD, director of women's heart health at the University of Kentucky's Gill Heart Institute, emphasizes in a new video to help people not to give up.

"You reduce your risk of heart attack by 50% if you get 150 minutes of activity a week -- or 30 minutes for five out of seven days," Wells says at newswise.com. "That doesn't have to come with a gym membership or fancy, expensive equipment. A brisk walk can be just as effective in reducing heart attack risk."

In fact, said Wells, even completing household chores like vacuuming or mowing the lawn can take up a significant chunk of that goal.You even get points on Weight Watchers for doing that. (Means you can eat more.)

I have to confess, I'm a resolution junkie.  A couple of years ago I decided that running every day wasn't good enough, so I added swimming, and now I'm doing water aerobics and swimming at least three times a week, every week.

It takes things like a broken wrist (and I could still swim) or a twisted knee to get me to stop and that usually only lasts a couple of days.

It's not that I'm a great athlete.  Far from it.  But once I make up my mind to do something, I usually do it.  Of course, there are still those 10 pounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Herbal Supplements? Even Green Tea Extract Can Lead to Liver Damage

Social Media Replacing Human Contact? Nah

Be Humble. Your Employees May Work Harder