Want to Get More Out of Exercise? Think, Fun

Could it be that easy?  A new study says that if you think of exercise as fun, or a treat, instead of oh-God-it's-time-to-go-running, you'll lose weight.

According to newswise.com, "Think of your next workout as a fun activity or as a well-deserved break – not exercise – and you’ll eat less and lose more weight, according to a new study from Cornell University Food and Brand Lab."

The study analyzed the eating habits of people after walking 2 km (a little more than a mile) – half the participants were told the walk was exercise, while others were told it was a scenic walk.

Researchers found that those who believed they completed an exercise walk ate 35 percent more chocolate pudding for dessert than those who had been on a scenic walk. On a different occasion, those thinking they had taken an exercise walk ate 206 more calories -- 124 percent more calories – than those who had been told they were on a scenic walk. 

According to researchers, the study shows one reason why people in new exercise programs often find themselves gaining weight – new exercisers have a tendency to reward themselves by overeating after their workout. 

I can certainly relate to that.  When I started doing Zumba -- really strenuous exercise for me, when, at the time, I ran a 15-minute mile -- I was starving when I finished.  I went right home and devoured a coffee cake, thinking, well, I burned it off, right?  I'm the only person you'll ever know who gained weight doing Zumba.

I, of course, over time realized I just couldn't do that, so I stuck to a more vigorous exercise program -- swimming and running an 11-minute mile and water aerobics -- and the weight didn't come off in gobs.  I found it was what I put in my mouth that mattered.

But thinking of exercise as fun couldn't be a bad thing.  Experts advise to do whatever you can to make your workout fun. Play music, watch a video, or simply be grateful that you’re working out instead of working in the office. “Anything that brings a smile, is likely to get you to eat less," the Web site quotes Brian Wansink, director of the Cornell Food and Brand Lab.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Herbal Supplements? Even Green Tea Extract Can Lead to Liver Damage

Social Media Replacing Human Contact? Nah

Be Humble. Your Employees May Work Harder