Why Does Your Dog Eat Food From His Bowl Somewhere Else?

Now why does your dog go to his bowl, pick up some food in his mouth, walk away, then drop it on the carpet or floor and eat away?  According to vetstreet.com, it's because of its pack mentality.

"When dogs in the wild make a kill, the outranked animals drag pieces of food away so they don't have to fight the leader or a more dominant canine for it," vetstreet.com quotes  Dr. Julie Albright, MA, DVM, DACVB, an assistant professor of veterinary behavior at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine.

"Fighting is obviously very risky, so most animals, especially subordinate ones, will go to great lengths to avoid an altercation," Dr. Albright tells vetstreet.com. 
If you use a metal bowl, "The noise of the food moving around in the dish or even his collar tags hitting the side can be frightening or annoying," notes Dr. Albright, "so he may be taking the kibble away from the trigger of the sound."

Although there may no other dogs or animals in your house competing for food, it's his evolutionary instinct taking over, vetstreet reports.

I don't have a dog but am thinking of getting one, but between having to walk him in the cold at 3 a.m., constantly vacuuming up the fur, and toilet-training yet one more person, I think I may put it off for a while.

Comments

  1. Get a dog Deb. Your husband can walk him at 3 AM. Or both of you can walk him together on beautiful Sunday mornings like today. I've had a dog 18 of the past 20 years. I run with her at times, walk her 14 miles a week, and sometimes I bring along a cup of coffee in a travel mug for a leisurely stroll. I meet neighbors, other dog owners, friendly dogs and snippy dogs. I see deer, foxes, bunnies, squirrels, and birds including crows that announce our arrival at 5:30 AM. I also hear a rooster in someone's backyard. With the sunrise, each day offers a new experience, and having a dog for therapy and family togetherness has brought much joy to us. You should get one. Get one that fits your lifestyle. I prefer Labrador retrievers for the intelligence and friendliness. I love my dog. Nothing like coming home to a happy dog wagging her tail meeting me at the door. Oh, and about your story, she sometimes takes her food from the metal bowl and eats 15 feet away. Now I know why. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Take Herbal Supplements? Even Green Tea Extract Can Lead to Liver Damage

Social Media Replacing Human Contact? Nah

Be Humble. Your Employees May Work Harder