Good Memory? Walking Wins

Now I know why I run.  Turns out a new study has found that endurance training helps keep your memory stronger than weight-training or just toning.

"Regular exercise can substantially improve memory, although different types of exercise seem to affect the brain quite differently," Gretchen Reynolds writes at The New York Times.

Now, the people being tested were in their 70s and 80s and all had a mild cognitive impairment (sometimes the precursor to Alzheimer's).  But once women completed a short walking course, their verbal and spatial memory were markedly different from those who just did toning and weight-lifting.  The walking women's memories were much better, post-test

I've fought weight-training and toning with every ounce of my body and now I see that, despite the toll running sometimes takes on my breathing (this past winter, my asthma made it almost impossible), running (or fast walking) is the best exercise for memory.

Whether I'll ever have six-pack abs is another question.
































http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/10/how-exercise-may-boost-the-brain/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media Replacing Human Contact? Nah

Take Herbal Supplements? Even Green Tea Extract Can Lead to Liver Damage

Don't Wash Your Chicken and Other Food Safety Myths